Changing the conversation about money and your life
The circle, or council, is an ancient form of meeting that has gathered human beings into respectful conversation for thousands of years, and has served as the foundation for many cultures. What transforms a meeting into a circle is the willingness of people to shift from information socializing or opinionated conversation into a receptive attitude of thoughtful speaking and deep listening, and to embody and practice the circle structures.
My first circle experiences were at a gathering of twelve other women financial planners from around the country. We found that money and food were two areas that seemed to significantly touch all parts of our lives……so we discovered that adding any topic to “Money” really triggered thoughtful, meaningful discussions. So consider any combination a possibility, such as:
Money and Home, Money and Children, Money and Partners, Money and Aging, Money and Health, Money and Elder Care, Money and Career, Money and Lifestyle, Money and Passions, Money and Friends, Money and Confidence, and many more!
Upcoming Circle Discussions
Circle discussions are scheduled periodically for open participation with a diverse group of unrelated individuals.
Discussion groups may also be arranged specifically for friends, family, colleagues, associates, and any other group interested in exploring money, abundance, health and wellness, communications, new perspectives, and more. This is a well-received event, sometimes a stand alone format or combined with another gathering in the afternoon or evening.
****Please call or email Laurie to arrange your own circle group.****
Circle discussions usually last between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. There may be a small fee to cover location expenses and light refreshments if applicable.
Please understand that this is NOT an investment program, seminar, or advice session. While the host(s) of this gathering are Certified Financial Planner professionals, we are calling this conversation in support of people gaining financial wisdom and freedom through open dialogue and learning.
Our goal in hosting this conversation is to encourage each of you to become empowered, educated, and engaged about money so that all of us:
- Build more confidence
- Gain knowledge and wisdom
- Make meaningful connections
- Learn to thrive and make wise decisions in the face of uncertainty, and
- Become empowered to act boldly and purposefully
Circle Discussions Guidelines
The use of agreements allows all members to have a free and profound exchange, to respect a diversity of views, and to share responsibility for the well-being and direction of the group.
- We will hold stories or personal material in confidentiality
- We listen to each other with compassion and curiosity
- We ask for what we need and offer what we can
- We agree to employ a group guardian to watch our need, timing, and energy. We agree to pause at a signal, and to call for that signal when we feel the need to pause.
The circle is an all leader group.
- Leadership rotates among all circle members
- Responsibility is shared for the quality of the experience
- Reliance is on wholeness, rather than on any personal agenda
- To speak with intention, noting what has relevance to the conversation in the moment
- To listen with attention, respectful of the learning process for all members of the group
- To tend the well-being of the circle, remaining aware of the impact of our contributions
* Acknowledgement of Circle Discussion Founders*
We gratefully acknowledge PeerSpirit Inc., founded in 1994 by Christina Baldwin and Ann Linnea for establishing these circle guidelines and permission to share their vision and words.